Skip to main content

tv   Late Night With Seth Meyers  NBC  April 11, 2017 12:37am-1:38am EDT

12:37 am
♪ >> fred: from 30 rockefeller plaza in new york, it's "late night with seth meyers." tonight, glenn close, from "girls," actor alex karpovsky, author, mohsin hamid, featuring the 8g band with nicko mcbrain. ladies and gentlemen, seth meyers. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: good evening, everybody. i'm seth meyers. this is "late night." how is everybody doing tonight? [ cheers and applause ] fantastic, fantastic to hear. in that case, let's get to the news. the national weather service is predicting widespread heavy snowfall and possible blizzards for several parts of the country this week. meteorologist say the storm could cause the worst whiteout conditions since this -- [ laughter and applause ]
12:38 am
white house press secretary, sean spicer, said today that president trump will donate his salary to a charity at the end of the year. it's expected that most of the money will go to his favorite charity, "donnie's kids." [ laughter ] experts are warning that the republican plan to repeal and replacement obamacare could result in millions of people losing access to insurance, and i think they may be right because that's the name of the bill. [ laughter ] over the weekend, donald trump jr. made his first official political appearance since his father was elected president. he hadn't planned on appearing but someone said entourage three times into a mirror. [ laughter ] "entourage, entourage, entourage." "how you doing?" the season finale of abc's "the bachelor" aired tonight, where
12:39 am
thirty women competed to win the love of one man -- their father. [ laughter ] at least that's how i'd see it. now, we tape our show before "the bachelor" aired so we don't know which girl got publicly dumped tonight and which one will get quietly dumped in about six weeks. [ laughter ] a new study revealed that the brain continues to be active for a few minutes after a person is declared clinically dead. so bad news guys, nana heard you say, "finally." [ laughter ] i warned you -- i warned you it was bad news. [ laughter ] japan has begun opening owl cafes, where customers can pet birds while they eat lunch. "we should go there," said the health department. [ laughter ] according to a new study, the
12:40 am
majority of people think they are nicer than they actually are. wow, who could be that delusional. >> yeah, i am a nice person. [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: and finally, british company has created a wearable condom ring that can measure different variables during sex, such as calories burned, average skin temperature, and how fast she left when you started putting it on. [ laughter and applause ] ladies and gentlemen, we got a great show for you tonight. [ cheers and applause ] she is starring in the broadway revival of "sunset boulevard" at the palace theater here in new york city. she is one of our favorites, glenn close is back on the show, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] she's one of the stars on hbo "girls", in its final season, alex karpovski is here. [ cheers and applause ] fantastic actor and more, looking forward to talking to him. and he is a best selling author and his new book, "exit west" is fantastic. mohsin hamid is here tonight. [ cheers and applause ] a great book.
12:41 am
so we just had a week off. my wife and my 1-year-old, ash, went on a vacation. we had an excellent time. on the ay back -- we were flying back, and as a 1-year-old, he's just more mobile than the last time we flew with him. he can crawl, he wants to move around, he doesn't want to sit in the lap. he's not satisfied with that. so he was squirming around a lot. he was very upset during the flight. which was very upsetting to us. it was very hard to relax on this flight. my wife and i were sitting with an aisle between us, and we were both, i will admit, losing our minds a little bit. then the couple sitting next to my wife is a lovely couple said to her, "you know we -- our kids are 17 and 15 now. we miss babies. we'd love to hold him." and we just said, "go for it." [ light laughter ] so here's a photo. that's -- there's my wife giving a thumbs up. that's my baby there. [ laughter and applause ] and they were, they were very, they were lovely people, but i need to stress, i would have
12:42 am
given him to anyone. [ light laughter ] like an old crone could have walked over and been like, oh, your baby looks delicious and i would have went, "here you go. see you in baggage claim. or barring that his high school graduation." but then the longer he was there, i started to get a little jealous because he just like really showed a lot of affection for this man he never met before. and i complained to my wife, i said he wasn't putting his head on my chest, and she said, well that guy had a window and it was the first time that i felt like an angry father who was underappreciated because my wife said, "oh he has a window." and it's like, "i put a roof over his head. [ laughter ] i didn't realize a [ bleep ] window was the ticket to his affection." anyway, we did get him back. we had a great trip. and i want to give my sincere thanks to this couple that was so kind and awesome. and i promise that when our children are that age, i will not be taking a baby. [ laughter ]
12:43 am
i will not be reciprocating that kindness. one thing that's become clear over the last week is that lying is now such a central feature of the trump administration and many in d.c. just take it for granted. but there's one issue where trump lies could have very real consequences for millions if people and that's healthcare. for more on this it's time for "closer look." ♪ [ cheers and applause ] one thing -- one thing that happens when you make as many wild unproven claim as trump does, is that the people around you have to go to increasingly ridiculous lengths to try to defend those claims. and this weekend we saw another example of that when white house counselor, kellyanne conway, was asked if she had any proof for trump's outlandish claim that obama wired taped him during the campaign and offered this bizarre answer. >> do you know whether trump tower was wire tapped? >> what i can tell you is there are many ways to surveil each other now, unfortunately. >> do you believe that? >> there is an article this week that talked about how you can surveil someone through their phone, through their --
12:44 am
certainly through their television set, any number of different ways. microwaves that turn into cameras, et cetera. [ laughter ] >> seth: if trump had a secret camera in his microwave, that must have been a very distressing feed to watch. "how long does it take to warm up kfc, melania? melania?" "oh, put a -- put a camera in the microwave." [ laughter ] you sure you -- you sure you don't want to just wire tap his phone? "nope, we'll put a little secret camera right there in the back of his microwave. [ laughter ] keep an eye on him." [ applause ] today -- today, conway did the rounds on the morning shows and tried to clarify her remarks by claiming she was answering a question about surveillance in general, not trump's wire tapping allegations. >> if fact -- this article. >> he didn't ask about it generally, though. that's just truly the transcript.
12:45 am
you may have answered it generally, but you were asked specifically. >> chris, i'm not inspector gadget. i -- i don't believe people are using the microwave to spy on the trump campaign. >> seth: and when inspector gadget heard that, he said, "even i think you're crazy and my hat turns into a helicopter." [ laughter ] now republicans may try to move past trump's wiretapping claims, but there's one issue where they won't be able to avoid the consequences of trump's lies. and that's healthcare. as a candidate, trump claimed repeatedly that he had a great health care plan that would be easy to implement, but as president he discovered things weren't quite so simple. >> you're going to have such great health care at a tiny fraction of the cost, and it's going to be so easy. now, i have to tell you, it's an unbelievably complex subject. nobody knew that healthcare could be so complicated. >> seth: in his defense, when this guy is your doctor, you'd have to assume healthcare is pretty easy. "yeah, dude. i got fired from the lazar tag place so i'm a doctor now."
12:46 am
[ light laughter ] however, i do think some people knew health care was complicated. in fact, watch the reaction of one of those people, bernie sanders, when he was asked about trump's comments on cnn. >> i'm wondering when you heard the president say, saying, quote, nobody knew that health care could be so complicated. [ laughter ] >> seth: bernie sanders hasn't laughed that hard since he used to babysit charlie chaplin. [ laughter ] "and remember, you're only a little champ because of the millionaires, and the millionaires." in fact, trump seems so befuddled by healthcare that even after the plan was released last week, he talked about it in ways that made it seem like he had no idea what was actually in it. >> this will be a plan where you can choose your doctor. this will be a plan where can you choose your plan. and you know what the plan is, this is the plan. >> seth: you know what the plan is, this is the plan. basically trump's take on healthcare is an abbott and costello routine. [ laughter ] "what's the plan?" "the plan is the plan." "will i still be insured?" "third base." [ laughter ] so because trump made promises he had no intention of keeping
12:47 am
and because he doesn't even seem to understand the basics about healthcare policies works, he essentially differed to gop leaders, specially to house speaker, paul ryan, to put together a plan. despite telling voters he would be different from republicans like ryan. in fact, trump is now so supportive of ryan's healthcare plan, despite the fact that it breaks so many of trump's own promises, that he's pulling out all the stops, convinced skeptical members of congress to get on board. >> also a big task for president trump was going to be wooing some team members of congress next week. he's inviting them to the white house for an exclusive pizza and bowling party to see if he can convince them. >> seth: that's right, trump is trying to sway members of congress with an 8-year-old's birthday party. [ laughter ] "also, good news, steve bannon has agreed to be a terrifying clown." [ laughter ] so it turns out that voters, who thought they were getting a different kind of republican, are in fact getting the same old failed gop policies that trump claimed to be against. essential to this gop philosophy is the idea that health care is not a right but a commodity that
12:48 am
you can only access if you can afford it. a philosophy summed up by this now infamous comment, from utah congressman, jason chaffetz last week. >> americans have choices, and they've got to make a choice. and so maybe, rather than getting that new iphone that they just love and they want to spend hundreds of dollars, maybe they should invest in their own health care. >> seth: yeah, americans need to cool it with the gadgets. they want the hot new iphone or crutches when a good old stick will do. [ light laughter ] but chaffetz isn't the only republican to frame healthcare as a commodity rather than a right. ted cruz for example, said something similar in a debate over health care policy with bernie sanders on cnn a few weeks ago when talking about the obamacare mandate. >> imagine if the federal government mandated that everyone in america must drive a lamborghini. now, i've never driven a lamborghini, i mean they look kind of fun. but you know what, i'm willing to bet most of us, if that was the mandate, and it'd be cool. you'd have leather seats, you could go 200 miles an hour. >> seth: i mean well, that's a [ bleep ] analogy. because health care treats all
12:49 am
illnesses whereas a lamborghini only treats erectile dysfunction. [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] well today -- today, the congressional budget office estimated that the gop healthcare plan would cause 24 million americans lose coverage. and yet despite that, gop leaders are rushing the bill through the house as quickly as possible. they held two marathon overnight committee hearings with no public input. one last 27 hours and another lasted 18 hours and ended at 4:30 in the morning. in fact, there's been so little public input into this whole process, that when gop congressman was asked the basic question, of how many public hearings the house has held on the bill, he could not answer. >> how many hearings, open hearings with witness testimony and the like have you had on this bill? >> we've had a series of hearings over the last several years. >> no, in this congress though, how many hearings in this congress on this bill. >> we have gone to the american people with paul ryan's better way. >> how many hearings has your committee had on this bill? >> we had a 27-hour marathon
12:50 am
session. >> how many hearings has your committee had on this bill? >> we've had a series of hearings over the last several years. >> seth: you know, i'm surprised he didn't just take a cue from trump and lie. "we've had 1.5 million hearings. one for each person who came to the inauguration." [ light laughter ] of course, if you actually saw what republicans are doing in these hearings, you might understand why they're holding them in the middle of the night when people aren't watching. just take the missouri gop congressman jason smith, who argued that obamacare taxes on tanning beds should be repealed. using a very dumb analogy. >> you could tax a lot of different items if you want to stop behavior. you know, i love ice cream. ice cream's probably not the most healthy thing to eat. why is there not a tax on that? you know what? if you look at the number one cause of skin cancer, it's not tanning beds. do a google search. it's the sun.
12:51 am
so why have they not proposed a tax on the sun. >> seth: yeah, why don't they tax the sun? is it because we already know that an orange ball of gas would never pay its taxes? [ cheers and applause ] even more -- even more embarrassing, though, is the fact that republicans and democrats and then proceeded to actually spend time debating whether it was possible to tax the sun. >> to relate ice cream to tanning is a serious mistake. there's a major difference in the impact. >> why did you not look at a sun tax. because that's the number one cause of skin cancer. >> i'll tell you why. because it's a little hard to tax the sun. it's much -- >> spain taxes the sun. >> no, no, well -- >> spain taxes the sun. so i'm curious. >> i'm not sure how they tax the
12:52 am
sun. >> i'll send you an article. [ laughter ] >> seth: look, you can't tax the sun. take it from a guy who was there when the sun was formed. the guy was the sun's college roommate. but congressional republicans didn't only focus their eye on the tanning tax. another gop congressman took issue with obamacare's requirements that insurers covers certain basic medical procedures like prenatal care for pregnant women. his main objection, why should men have to pay for it? >> what mandate in the obamacare bill does he take issue with? i'm curious what is it we're mandating? >> whether gentlemen -- >> yeah, sure. >> what about men having to purchase prenatal care? i'm just, is that not correct? >> reclaiming my time. >> should they? >> seth: yeah, why should men pay for prenatal care. for that matter, why should women? prenatal care is for the fetuses, fetuses should pay for it. [ laughter ] they'll just should give up their precious iphone. [ laughter ]
12:53 am
all of this, of course, has put the bill in a very precarious position. everyone from doctors, to hospitals, to insurers, to the aarp has come up against it. in fact, as cnn reported, it's so toxic that nobody wants their name on the republican healthcare bill. and the white house says don't call it trumpcare. even donald trump won't put his name on this thing. one reason for that might be that he's worried people won't like it as much as obamacare. in fact today, trump blamed the media for obamacare's rising popularity in the polls. >> the press is making obamacare look so good all of a sudden. i'm watching the news. looks so good. the press is making it look so wonderful so that if we end it, everybody's going to say, "oh, remember how great obamacare used to be? remember how wonderful it used to be? it was so great." it's a little bit like president obama. when he left, people liked him. when he was here, people didn't like him so much. >> seth: i love how donald trump can't figure out why obama is suddenly so popular. it's you, dude! [ laughter and applause ] it's you.
12:54 am
[ cheers and applause ] trump -- trump's like the guy who clears out the subway cart because he [ bleeps ] his pants and then says, "oh, i guess that was everyone's stop." [ light laughter ] this has been "a closer look." ♪ [ cheers and applause ] we'll be right back with glenn close, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
12:55 am
♪ [music / beat-box vocals playing] ♪ you're gonna rock the party ♪ ♪ ♪ rock this party up red line, 20 minute delay. oh, no. (rhythmic clatter) can't get a signal? so annoying, right? yeah, and i'm late for a job interview. hey, man, can you just nix it, just for like two seconds? thank you. you need verizon. they have the largest, most reliable 4g lte network in america. it's made to work in places like this.
12:56 am
with verizon unlimited, we could video chat the interview in hd right here. okay. hey, man, i'll cue you. (vo) when it really, really matters, you need the best network and the best unlimited. just $45 per line for four lines. i'm a people person. (drumming resumes) the seal you can trust. with stain and sealer in one... and easy to choose colors... exceptional beauty and protection have never been easier. thompson's waterseal stain and sealer. available at national retailers.
12:57 am
degree has redefined deodorant with motionsense technology... so that i can redefine... power... footwork... range... and the more i move, the more it works. giving me superior protection... on, and off, the court. degree. it won't let you down.
12:58 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back, everybody. please give it up for the 8g band right over there. [ cheers and applause ] sitting in this week, he's the drummer for a simply legendary heavy metal group, who have sold more than 90 million albums worldwide, and are set to perform in brooklyn at the barclays center on july 21st and 22nd, where they'll wrap up their globe-spanning "book of souls" world tour. from iron maiden, nicko mcbrain is here. thank you so much for being here. [ cheers and applause ] so happy to have you. >> thank you, seth. great night. thanks for having me. >> seth: our first guest tonight, is a tony-award-winning actress who's currently starring on broadway in the critically acclaimed revival of "sunset boulevard." it is playing now through june 25th at the palace theater. please welcome back to the show, glenn close, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
12:59 am
♪ >> seth: hi! >> hi! >> seth: how are you? >> so good to see you. >> seth: this is a -- it's such a delight to see you. i came and saw the show on saturday night. it's fantastic, congratulations. >> thank you. >> seth: and you know, i had -- i wanted to see it, one, because you were coming on the show, but also we live in the same building. i see you a lot -- >> i know. >> seth: and i told you i was going to see it. >> and looking very different. [ light laughter ] i -- i see you going off to exer -- you know, to the gym. >> seth: yeah, gym, yeah. >> and you see me with my glasses, walking my dog. >> seth: yeah, exactly. well, we -- we do share that we're dog owners, and you have been so kind to our dog frisbee, because when you -- sometimes you will give us hand-me-downs for your dog clothes. >> that's right. but they're all brand-new. i never give -- >> seth: right, of course. >> that he's actually -- [ laughter ] i also brought you something. >> seth: what did you bring? >> it's kind of a frisbee present.
1:00 am
>> seth: okay. >> donald trump dog poop bag. >> seth: oh, wow. fantastic. [ laughter and applause ] >> i thought you might enjoy them. >> seth: that is great. that's great, for when -- for -- >> and depending on how much goes into the bag, he has different expressions on his face. >> seth: oh, really? [ laughter ] it will change? >> i think -- yes. >> seth: i will remember this next time frisbee needs to drain the swamp. [ laughter and applause ] >> i also want to say congratulations on your 500th show. >> seth: it is our 500th show today. isn't that crazy? [ cheers and applause ] >> that's amazing! i've only done 28. >> seth: yeah, so that's -- but your -- so this interesting. so you've done 28 so far, you're going to june. >> something like that, yeah. >> seth: but you -- this is a show that you did 23 years ago in the same role. and that -- that's so exciting and it's so great to see a role that you've returned to. i had not seen the original. how -- >> you were too young. >> seth: i was too young. [ light laughter ] did you -- was it, did you have any hesitations as far as returning to it?
1:01 am
>> it was intriguing to me at the time. it was in london where we first did it, so i thought, i have a whole ocean between me and new york where i did it last. >> seth: right, the revival. >> the revival, yes. we did it in london. i -- it's the second time that i've returned after a number of years to a role. i did it with a role called albert nobbs and it -- but a role as great, and as rich, and as iconic as norma desmond, there's -- there's no end to what you can do with that and how -- what you discover, and what you find. and after 23 years to come back, i decided not to go back to anything that i'd done before, but just kind of start fresh, and i feel like it's a totally different performance. >> seth: and i guess it must've been an incredibly risky undertaking, when you did it the first time, because it's such an iconic role, norma desmond. >> right. >> seth: it has -- when you say it's been -- completely different, is it more fun the second time? because you know how -- >> well, i think i sing better now than i've ever sung in my life. >> seth: really? >> yes. >> seth: what do you think -- you attribute that to?
1:02 am
>> well, learning how to sing better. [ laughter ] >> seth: oh, my goodness. well it did say in the playbill -- >> it's a very, very complex score, it's very tricky vocally, technically. and the more you know, and the more you know how, i mean, there are certain notes -- >> seth: right. >> that you have to be conscious of where you put them in your -- on your vocal chords, and whether you can do them every night. i mean, it's -- >> seth: well, i -- you know, you -- you don't have to be honest, but i would appreciate your honesty, 'cause we were there in the middle of the show, not the end of the first act, not the end of the show, uh, there is a song where everybody rises their feet, it's a fantastic number. does that happen every night? 'cause we all -- we gave you a standing ovation in the middle of the show. >> i ask michael -- michael xavier my wonderful co-star -- >> seth: who's fantastic. >> because i can't -- i can't see everyone, and i don't look to see if they're standing up. >> seth: yeah, yeah. i notice you doing this glenn. [ laughter ] >> so, i -- i go off stage, and he's just like, "they were standing up." i said, "oh, well that's cool. wow." >> seth: that's good. that's a nice way of not being able to see makes it a lot better -- >> yeah, it does. >> seth: then it would be such a bummer if -- if and is it true that -- what is it -- not just that it's still a glenn close in
1:03 am
the role, but that you actually used your old costume from the original production? from 23 years ago? >> yes, i did. yes, it's a magnificent anthony powell-designed costumes. >> seth: and you just have -- you still have the costume? >> i have a magnificent costume collection. >> seth: okay, and you -- >> i have all of cruella. >> seth: oh, wow. so this is films and uh -- [ laughter ] >> ha, ha! [ laughter ] [ cheers and applause ] oh, that wasn't the real laugh. >> seth: i mean, there is -- i mean, if you really wanted to -- to do me a favor with frisbee, you could cruella in there one of these days. [ laughter ] when she's behaving -- when she's misbehaving. i'll be there. you could be coat for this lady! >> it would -- [ light laughter ] you'd have to put some spots on him. >> seth: yeah, that's true. and do you -- there are just, you just sort of archive them. >> very carefully. yes, well, i -- because now it's so big, and it's getting financially unfeasible, i am set.
1:04 am
it looks like i'm going them to the -- to indiana university. >> seth: oh, fantastic. >> yep, yep. >> seth: what an incredible collection to be gifted. that's wonderful. [ cheers and applause ] >> i know it's -- i'm proud. >> seth: is that -- you know, you mentioned you are doing it completely differently to keep it a -- a fresh endeavor for you. is it then strange to bring out the exact same wardrobe from 23 years? >> it was very strange. >> seth: yeah. >> when we started -- when i put them on for the first time in london, i felt like i was putting on my grandmother's clothes. [ light laughter ] they didn't feel right at all. i had no choice, because they didn't have enough money to -- to make me some great new costume. but now -- now i, you know, now wonderful tracy christensen has added some pieces. >> seth: uh-huh. >> i have very fast costume changes -- >> seth: well, i am stunned by how quickly you're completely different. >> there's a whole other show behind the scenes. so with some pieces that make it, possible to -- to get through the first act without wearing the same costume. >> seth: this is not a piece in the show. this is off stage, because we -- when my wife and i came and said
1:05 am
hello to you after the show and you were still in costume, we did not see this robe. but so you were wearing a robe here glenn, correct me if i'm wrong, that has your face on it. >> yeah. [ light laughter ] >> seth: that is -- that is glenn close in a glenn close robe. >> i like wearing clothes with myself all over. [ light laughter ] yeah. >> seth: i'll remember that the next time i get you something. >> no -- fred johanson who plays max, made -- had that made for me, it's -- it's outrageous and fabulous. >> seth: and do you often wear it after the show? >> yes, of course i do. [ laughter ] and it's very funny, 'cause you see this big thing of -- and also -- >> seth: yeah right, exactly. well, then you have to be very careful when you belt a robe with your own face on it. >> i know. >> seth: make sure it's -- yeah. [ light laughter ] you know, one of the other things i was thinking last night, so this is a -- a show, and it was a, you know, a film, and a story about ageism in hollywood. you know, this -- this character, norma desmond. it's about how the film industry and the country has forgotten about her, and yet this is a
1:06 am
very exciting time on broadway for sort of, actors who -- who've been around for a while, like yourself and bette midler. and patti lupone. >> i know. sally field. >> seth: sally field. >> yeah. >> seth: and is it great to be -- >> do you know how old i'm going to be? >> seth: how old are you going to be? >> guess. >> seth: well, this is one of those things. [ laughter ] just be ready to make edits here if -- >> does anybody know how old i'm going to be in a couple weeks? >> seth: you're gonna be 61-years-old? >> no. >> seth: how old? 65-years-old. you're going to be 70-years-old! glenn close! what -- i don't know -- [ applause ] wow. close don't crack! [ light laughter ] >> isn't that incredible? >> seth: yeah, that's amazing. >> i can't believe it myself. >> seth: so, the funny thing then is you actually are playing someone 20 years younger than you in the show -- >> that's true. >> seth: because she's 50 in the show. and, well, that's great. so it turns out that you can play at any age really. >> that's right.
1:07 am
except maybe 16. >> seth: yeah, well, don't sell yourself short. >> that's true. >> seth: what? >> yeah. >> seth: you can't do 16 anymore? >> oh, i could do 16. >> seth: okay, good yeah. i think you could too. i'm looking forward to production of whatever show has a 16-year-old girl. [ laughter ] i would look forward to you in "grease," next year. >> oh, yeah. no, that'd be fun. >> seth: yeah. >> that'd be fun to play. >> seth: it's always so great to see you. thank you so much for being here tonight. >> great to see you. >> seth: congrats on the show. [ cheers and applause ] glenn close everybody! "sunset boulevard" is playing at the palace theater now through june 25th. we'll be right back with alex karpovsky. [ cheers and applause ] ♪
1:08 am
welcome to maxx you. you are whimsical, vibrant, statement making. you stand out in a crowd. and are pulled together. you follow your own lead and show your strength.
1:09 am
always comfortable in your own skin. we see what makes you unique. so we have something for everyone, at a price that's just right for you. maxx you. maxx life. t.j.maxx introducing new depend silhouette briefs. featuring a comfortable sleek fit. as a dancer, i've learned you can't have any doubts. because looking good on stage is one thing. but real confidence comes from feeling good out there. get a free sample at depend.com. ♪ ♪ ♪ take on the mainstream. introducing nissan's new midnight edition. ♪
1:10 am
1:11 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back, everybody. our next guest is an actor/director best known for playing "ray" on the hit hbo series "girls." the sixth and final season airs sunday nights.
1:12 am
let's take a look. >> we never even talk anymore. we never hang out. we never do anything. >> we see each other all the time, ray. >> yeah, after you've exercised. or when your online therapist's husband is awake so she can give you a session. i mean don't you -- isn't -- i want more. you know, i need more. because we're not going to be here for very long. you know, very soon we're going to be on the other side of the dirt. you know, we're all going to the same place, each and every one of us. and that place -- >> dead, we're all going to be dead. yes, i know that. are you really this cliché, ray? someone you sort of like dies and suddenly you are re-jiggering your entire outlook on life? >> why should i be smarter than this? >> seth: please welcome to the show, alex karpovsky, everybody. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ >> seth: how are you? >> i'm doing great. how are you? >> seth: good! i'm so happy you're here. >> thank you. >> seth: i'm such a fan of the show. >> thank you. >> seth: i'm such a fan of yours. >> thank you. >> seth: i'm sad it's coming to
1:13 am
an end. >> me too. >> seth: and you have had as long a working relationship as anyone could possibly have lena dunham. you were in her film "tiny furniture." >> i was, yeah. >> seth: so how has this been? has this an incredible ride, to see a friend like lena go through this all? >> yeah, to say the very least. yeah, i'm just blown away that we were able -- lena lead the charge. and we were able to get this sort of indie small, personal, raw sensibility to a mainstream audience. you know, i was so overjoyed when i heard that she was going to get a chance at hbo, but i also had a little bit of doubt, you know. i didn't know if this would translate. and like many things in life, seth, i was wrong. >> seth: oh yeah. >> and they found an audience. >> seth: i'm like that, too. i'm so happy how often i'm wrong. >> yeah. >> seth: because i tend to be a pessimist. >> mm-hmm. >> seth: so, when these things work out -- >> me too. >> seth: it's the best. yeah. [ light laughter ] no, it's funny you mention you're a pessimist, because certainly you see some of ray is a pessimist. >> mm-hmm. >> seth: and lena did base ray on you. >> to some degree. >> seth: okay. >> and that's what i tell myself, anyway. >> seth: gotcha. >> because i need that distance. >> seth: yeah. >> because a part of me hates the living [ bleep ] out of that guy. [ light laughter ] so a little a bit of buffer. no, i think i kind of view ray as who i was about 10 or
1:14 am
12 years ago. >> seth: that's a nice amount of distance. >> yeah, helps the distance. >> seth: because you can then say you have bettered -- you're a different person now. >> i have evolved, seth. >> seth: yes. >> yes, that's right. >> seth: how do you -- do you have a good memory of yourself from 10 or 12 years ago? >> the bong hits have kind of -- >> seth: sure. they do have an effect. >> they do have an effect. >> seth: yeah, okay. >> yeah, absolutely. i found that jpegs help a little bit. but what i discovered in season one was e-mail helps more than anything else. >> seth: okay. >> i've had the same e-mail address for a while. you can do date parameters, to search within this time window. and i can type in keywords. and i -- my whole tragedy is in the inbox. >> seth: okay. >> so i can find an e-mail and within two or three lines -- >> seth: does that mean you -- >> the whole restored memory is lost again. >> seth: so you don't delete a lot of stuff then? >> no. >> seth: okay, gotcha. >> no, i have a fear of death. it's all woven into my inbox. >> seth: oh, okay good. >> i don't delete anything. >> seth: so what's a word that you would search for, for an e-mail that would help you ray's character? >> anger. >> seth: okay, gotcha. [ light laughter ] >> yeah, like if there's a scene where i'm like angry and i'm
1:15 am
running out to yell at a guy honking his car, for example. >> seth: yeah. >> i might type in within date parameters like "rage," "i'm sorry." >> seth: yeah. >> "don't press charges." >> seth: you have to be so full of rage to type "rage" in an e-mail. [ light laughter ] yeah, "i currently have rage!" and you've also, you're an accomplished director as well as an actor, and you actually directed an episode last year. >> right. >> seth: are you directing one this year as well? >> no. >> seth: no, just last year. and, what was it like to step on a set where you've been only an actor and then direct this cast of people, that i'm assuming at this point you have a friendship with? >> yeah, i mean it was really, really exhilarating. i love, truly love, the principle characters on our show. so being able to finally sort of nudge them in certain different directions and tease out elements of their personality, was really exhilarating, and fun. i get to play with the action figures. >> seth: yes! >> you know what i mean? you know what i mean? >> seth: there is -- now, is there a line of "girls" actions figures yet? has that happened? >> i heard some rumblings in season one, but i don't think they got off the ground. >> seth: i would [ inaudible ] >> they're stuck in a factory in taiwan somewhere.
1:16 am
>> seth: right. >> yeah. >> seth: your parents are from russia. >> yeah. >> seth: and your mother, the thick russian accent? where is she at these days? >> so thick that she doesn't speak english. >> seth: okay, gotcha. >> yeah. >> seth: so that's -- >> that's a pretty thick accent. >> seth: got it, yeah. and so does she -- can she appreciate "girls?" >> well in a certain -- like i give her cliff notes before the episode airs. >> seth: okay. >> and then i do kind of a recap afterwards. what happens in between, she lives in boston, i have no idea. >> seth: okay. >> i think like, she sees her son, like "oh, there's my son, you know, having sex with a beautiful women. there's my son losing his temper again at strangers on the street." i don't know. doesn't really -- it's a visual kind of appreciation. >> seth: yeah. >> yeah. >> seth: it's very funny to think of watching "girls" without the dialogue. because it's such a written show. like, "i like 'girls' for the pictures." >> well, yes. sometimes they play it on planes fortunately, so sometimes i see people watching it. and i kind of view it without any dialogue. >> seth: yeah. >> and it's pretty trippy. >> seth: oh, that's good.
1:17 am
>> yeah. >> seth: you, because of this russian upbringing, and your russian accent, you got to do some voiceover work in one of the "grand theft auto" video games. >> yeah. "gta iv." >> seth: "gta iv" congrat -- >> liberty city. >> seth: liberty city. and so you were a russian gangster? >> yeah, i was a russian -- i played actually a small fleet of russian gangsters. >> seth: oh, so you had to do multiple? >> yeah. >> seth: gotcha. >> well, i'm a very versatile actor. >> seth: yeah. >> i don't know if you know that, so. >> seth: and you did back stories for all of them? >> absolutely. >> seth: yeah. >> so many rage field keyword searches. yeah, they -- i don't know that much about video games. but they told me i was one of the easter egg guys. >> seth: okay. >> so there's these hidden place in video games where you can go into these wormholes i guess. these secret places, and it was like the corporate environment. there were guys, you know, with oxford shirts tucked in to their pleated khakis. and they walk me in, they're like, "do you need any hot water? you okay?" and i'm like, "yeah, i'm fine." >> seth: so, you're in a sound booth? >> i'm in a sound booth, but there's like a conference room type of thing. with like executive looking people around me. it's all kind of corporate, but the game is pretty violent. >> seth: very. >> and sexy. and they told me -- they explained it to me only when i walked in. because of legal reasons or whatever they can't send you
1:18 am
stuff. they're like, "okay, so in this scene, you've just killed a prostitute after having sex with her." and you've killed her because you want to get your money back. just have fun. have a good time."] [ laughter ] like, "all right, here we go." >> seth: you know it's funny. because i do remember playing that and i remember thinking, "you know, that guy. that gangster who just killed the prostitute is having fun." >> yeah, he's having a lot of fun. [ light laughter ] >> seth: thanks so much for being here. >> a pleasure. >> seth: i've been a fan for a long time. >> i appreciate it. [ cheers and applause ] z it's really been great. >> seth: alex karpovsky, everybody. "girls" airs sunday nights on hbo. we're right back with more "late night." [ cheers and applause ] ♪ woman: so this happened. zoe brought over some lime-a-rita's to ava's rooftop and that's when we knew it was going to be one of those nights. that's elyse busting out her dance move from summer of '08. ( ♪ ) she insists it's her signature move, but we're all pretty good at it.
1:19 am
yeah, looks like we're staying here tonight. lime-a-rita. make it a margarita moment. lime-a-rita. mathat are 100% from denny's.rs starting at $6.99, which is 100% awesome. 100% beef burgers with fries starting at $6.99. 100% seriously. indid may imagine april showersy bringing her fashionable, flowers at such a sunny price? never but that's the beauty of a store full of surprises. you never know what you're gonna find, but you know you're gonna love it. ♪ say hello to at&t's best, unlimited data deal and never pay overages again. so now the whole family can binge,
1:20 am
surf, shop, navigate, listen, game, stream and more. all without the hassle of worrying about overages or running out of data. in fact, you'll never pay overages again. and remember, it's at&t's best, unlimited data deal ever. so get at&t, get unlimited and get everyone more for less. this blue goo leaves a residue quit playin' with my eyes,ghter. goo... so, seventh generation developed this powerful natural detergent it gets your clothes clean. really clean. buh bye blue goo, and come clean with seventh generation. ♪
1:21 am
♪ corolla with toyota safety sense standard toyota let's go places
1:22 am
1:23 am
♪ [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: welcome back, everybody. our next guest is a best-selling author whose fantastic new novel, "exit west," is available now. please welcome to the show, mohsin hamid. ♪ [ cheers and applause ] how are you? >> i'm great, thank you. >> seth: so you live in pakistan. >> yes. >> seth: you travel the world to promote your books. >> yes. >> seth: i'm a big fan of your writing. do you find that different places receive your writing in different ways? >> different people receive writing in different ways. so i like to tell a story about this guy in washington d.c., an american guy. blond hair, blue eyes, comes up after a reading of the "reluctant fundamentalist," and says you know, this novel is
1:24 am
about me. and "the reluctant fundamentalist" is about a pakistani guy who grows a beard and goes back to pakistan after working in new york city. >> seth: yeah. >> so i looked at him, and i looked at the book in his hands, and it was my book, and i said, you know, "how so?" and he said, "well, i went to an ivy league school. i worked on wall street, i quit my job, and i am a yoga instructor." and that's when i actually realized that -- "the reluctant fundamentalist" is actually the story of a liberal arts kid who goes to work, and then stops working. and so yeah, people react in different ways. you can't predict. >> seth: yeah, i still would rather read your version than his. [ laughter ] so this is interesting, this is about a refugee couple in an unnamed country who sort of begin escaping their country and traveling around, trying to find a home. and there's a -- a great amount of realism to it. the characters are very real, the dialog is real, and yet there's this one element, which is the way they go from one country to the other is through this sort of magical doors. i feel like that might be the best description of it.
1:25 am
yeah? >> yeah, that's correct. >> seth: and so what brought you to use this element of sort of, fairy tale in this very real story? >> well, partly, i think the doors sort of already exist. like, i was in pakistan. i feel like i've sort of stepped through a magical door to arrive sitting next to you. distance has collapsed in our world. so we are -- we are pressed close up against each other, through technology. but i wanted to focus on what happens before you move? you know, what leads someone to leave where they live? what's the enormous sorrow or pain, and then what happens when you get there, which is most of your life. crossing the rio grande or crossing that train, is a tiny little piece of that story. the real story is all of us, experience this -- this pain, before we move, and then something happens afterwards. >> seth: and i think that most of us do see it, only in that snapshot of the journey. i think when we think of refugees, we do think of people crammed onto a boat, or people trying to -- to cross a border. and it seems like you -- it mattered deeply to you to make these very realistic -- bring the humanity to these
1:26 am
characters. >> yeah, because it's -- it's to see ourselves in these characters. so, say the characters in this novel are two young people having a love affair, they've just met. they go to chinese restaurants, they hang out, and -- and suddenly, their city starts to fall apart. things get interrupted. people who move are people just like us. it's the part where they move that's different. but before that, and after that, they're people exactly like us. >> seth: what is, do you feel that is the element that's missing in the conversation about the travel ban? >> well, i think there are lots of elements missing, but -- you know, one part of it is -- it's a great -- it's a great idea with a couple of small flaws. [ laughter ] it's -- one part of it is that it's based on a hysterical level of fear. you know, i live in pakistan, and things are sometimes a little bit scary, and you know, part of how you deal with that in life, is gotta be a little bit brave. and just live your life. and what's happened now is we've been made so frightened of people, and we think in the
1:27 am
travel ban is an example of that. where, let's just take a whole bunch of people and -- and treat them as though they're all this horrible, frightening thing. and in the process, throw away our commitment to equality and human decency. >> seth: what is the conversation in pakistan, like amongst your friends and family, about the travel ban, and about america in general right now, as someone who's sort of, well, spent time in both places. >> for people like me, it's a sense of heartbreak, right? so if your -- if your part pakistani, i've lived 17 years in the u.s., the idea of not being able to come is -- is really heartbreaking. but my daughter dena, is 7-years-old. and my wife and i brought her to new york in august for a month, and she went back saying, "i love new york, i love america, why? you know, let's go live there, it's fantastic." and just now, she you know, told me before i got a plane to come this way, you know, "don't go." and she said, "you know, there's a new president there, and his name is donald trump, and you know, he hates muslims, and what if he locks you up?" and kids in her school are talking about this. they're actually frightened.
1:28 am
little 7-year-old kids all over the planet. that can't be a good thing. like that's not really what america wants to stand for. >> seth: no, when she told you that there was a guy named donald trump as president, did you say "i know that." [ laughter ] >> she loves hillary too, by the way, my daughter. she loves hillary interestingly enough. >> seth: oh, well there you go. how important do you think storytelling and, you know, being a storyteller is -- going forward, in the times we are? >> it's really important. the reason why we have storytelling is because we don't want to be bound, as human beings, by what was and what is, like we have to imagine what could be. and right now, there's this nostalgic political force, where we -- looking back, you know, make america great again, and the caliphate of the 8th century, that's where we want to be. we have to imagine new futures, and i think what storytellers can do, is begin to imagine new ways of being, and new -- you know, new places that we can all go to. >> seth: well, thank you so much for continuing to tell your stories. this is a fantastic book. thank you for making the time, and being here. >> thank you. [ cheers and applause ] >> seth: mohsin hamid, everybody, "exit west" is available now.
1:29 am
we'll be right back. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ red line, 20 minute delay. oh, no. (rhythmic clatter) can't get a signal? so annoying, right? yeah, and i'm late for a job interview. hey, man, can you just nix it, just for like two seconds? thank you. you need verizon. they have the largest, most reliable 4g lte network in america. it's made to work in places like this. with verizon unlimited, we could video chat the interview in hd right here. okay. hey, man, i'll cue you. (vo) when it really, really matters, you need the best network and the best unlimited. just $45 per line for four lines. i'm a people person. (drumming resumes) the little sounds your crispy bacon makes drive me crazy. you naughty little... (spank) did you just spank your lunch? yeah. (spank) devour. food you want to fork.
1:30 am
with motionsense technology... degree has redefined deodorant so that i can redefine... power... footwork... range... the more i move, the more it works. degree. it won't let you down.
1:31 am
♪ ♪ give extra. get extra. [ rock music playing ] have fun with your replaced windows. run away! [ grunts ] leave him! leave him! [ music continues ] brick and mortar, what?! [ music continues ]
1:32 am
[ tires screech ] [ laughs ] [ doorbell rings ] when you bundle home and auto insurance with progressive, you get more than a big discount. that's what you get for bundling home and auto! jamie! you get sneaky-good coverage. thanks. we're gonna live forever!
1:33 am
discover italy's lighter side,. at olive garden thanks. with new tastes of the mediterranean recipes that put a fresh spin on traditional italian made with simple, wholesome ingredients inspired by italy's mediterranean coast. indulge in italy's lighter side at olive garden.
1:34 am
>> announcer: for more "late night," go to latenightseth.com, follow us on instagram and twitter at latenightseth. and be sure to check us out on youtube and facebook. head over to itunes and subscribe to the "late night with seth meyers" podcast. you'll get a closer look and more downloaded right to your phone every day. yo, check it.
1:35 am
1:36 am
my parents pimped out our crib with fios internet. sick. word on the street is it's bomb.com. i think you're bomb.com michelle, wanna come over and surf those sweet fios speeds like old times? todd, i've moved on to xfinity, they have the fastest internet. sorry todd. fios has fallen behind. don't fall with it. xfinity delivers the fastest internet. sign up today or get started with this great offer. call, click, or visit an xfinity store today.
1:37 am
[ cheers and applause ] >> seth: my thanks to glenn close, alex karpovsky, mohsin hamid, everybody! nicko mcbrain, and of course the 8g band. stay tuned for "carson daly." we'll see you tomorrow. [ cheers and applause ] ♪ ♪ ♪ >> carson: good evening, i'm cason daly and you have tuned into "last call" from the time new york hotel, a beautiful spot. we got a good one for you tonight. randy liedtke is gonna get our comedy spotlight treatment. also, the frights will make their tv debut from the el rey.

10 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on